On Wednesday, June 1st, 1910, a luncheon meeting was held at the
residence of the Organizing Regent, Mrs. Greydene-Smith in
Fred Wheaton, Colorado State Regent of NSDAR and Mrs. W. S.
Tarbell were honored guests. There were seven other ladies
present who were proud to be
charter members of the new 13th
Colorado NSDAR Chapter.
table centerpiece was a real Indian Peace Pipe tied with the
NSDAR colors and each guest was given a small replica of a Peace
National NSDAR had given approval for the Chapter to be named "Sante
Fe Trail" but before the actual charter time, it was learned
that Trinidad, Colorado, was organizing a new Chapter. Since Trinidad
was on the old trail, the name was relinquished to them.
Greylene-Smith suggested the name "Peace Pipe" because of its
historical significance in the development of the west.
The term was also indicative of "a first meeting," and
favored by all.
first yearbook cover was distinctive and different. The spirals
of smoke wreathing up from the Peace Pipe formed the letters "NSDAR"
our cherished traditions has been our "Peace Pipe Chapter Flag
Pageant" chartered to our Chapter. It is fully documented
and copyrighted. It was compiled by Mrs. Arthur D. Wall with art
work by Patricia Roth.
Flag Pageant was presented the first time at a state conference
in Pueblo, Colorado, and then taken to Washington D.C. and shown
before the NSDAR Continental Congress in 1929. The pageant has
been shown from coast to coast as well as overseas.
Day is celebrated each year on Genesee Mountain where a
flagpole and a monument are erected by our Chapter. The
first ceremony was held June 14th, 1911. Each year two flags
are given to the City and County of Denver through the
Superintendent of Parks and Recreation, who oversees the flying
of the flag.
The Flag base was
designed and patented in 1927 by member Miss Annette Newcomb and is still in use.
In 1945, the Chapter received one of Sitting Bull's Peace Pipes.
The red stone pipe was supposed to have been used
at a conference between government commissioners, Chiefs of
the Sioux, and other tribes in 1867. Robert R.
Peale, son of Franklin Peale, to whom Chief Sitting Bull
presented the pipe in 1882, presented the pipe to our Chapter.
The Chapter presented it to the NSDAR Museum in Washington D.C.,
where it is currently displayed.
May 3, 1917, Peace Pipe Chapter, along with two other
Chapters, planted and dedicated the first "Washington" elm tree
in Washington Park.
The Chapter has been active in placing markers, planting trees,
and planting columbine seeds in the mountains.
The Chapter began supporting the "I am an American Day" in
1941 and continues to support it although it is now known as
"Citizenship Day." We help the Naturalization Court of
Denver and Arapahoe Counties to present flags and codes to new citizens at Naturalization Ceremonies.
The John Blue Society of the Children of the American Revolution
was named for the ancestor of one of our members and is supported
by the Peace Pipe and Mount Rosa Chapters.